Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Why the local sports team pandering?

Both sides. Same issue. Both claiming to be fans of each of the teams left in the baseball playoffs. Both full of shit.

This leads me to wonder -- does the outcome of the World Series ever influence the election? For instance, if the series goes to seven games, it'll be decided on the 30th, less than a week before election day. And with so many states allowing early voting, I wonder how many people will vote on a whim, either in-between errands or in the haze of a post-game (or hell, pre-game) hangover.

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but I've yet to see an cogent answer to the question.

I remember four years ago a few of us were hoping for an Astros-Red Sox series, since Bush and Kerry would be to some degree represented by the teams. Then we could settle the election in a best of seven series. At least it seemed amusing at the time.

Maybe it pays to pander. I mean sports fandom is as arbitrarily fanatical as just about anything, including religion and politics.

No comments: